Sunday, August 3, 2008

China has 4 Internets

..and it looks like they will be watching all of them for the Olympics. (for perspective my college house in Colorado Springs had 6 sometimes 7 internets.) Apparently they have opened up blogger, and some other previously blocked websites before the olympics, likely to make it easier to catch dissent. I never planned on writing anything about the person whom Bill Murray's character in caddyshack mentions is a long hitter and a poor tipper (at least monetarily) or other issues that may bother china,and I still don't, but I will definitely be tempering my posts.

It has confused me why China blocks blogs. What I try to write, is directed to a western audience, who I realized when I went home after the sichuan earthquake, doesn't have the perspective that I do, and is in turn a much much harsher critic of China. What I would tell them would probably dilute their vitriol. Also no one is reading my blog, especially not chinese people who don't understand english and don't realize that you can get on a website even if it doesn't end in .com.cn. (perhaps this is what the gov't is worried I will tell them)

However I realize not everyone is like me. It only takes one person to suggest an idea on an open platform such as this for it to get legs. Frankly, they can run their country however they want, I am the one who chooses to live here.

No comments: