Monday, July 28, 2008

Easiest job in Shanghai

My first day in Shanghai I reached the intersection of two streets and waited for the light to turn red, when it did the crossing guard blew his whistle and I began to cross the street only to stop a second later as I had to dodge a few bikes, then some mopeds, then some cars. That was also the last time I listened to a crossing guard here. 

I've realized that the crossing guards seem to have two jobs. The first is that they ONLY stop bikes going straight. Not bikes or mopeds turning left or right, not cars turning left or right, and sometimes not even the bikes going straight. Leaving me, the pedestrian, to fend for myself while crossing the street. 

Originally I thought because in America, the crossing guard helps you cross the street that the ones here  would stop these vehicles, giving me the right of way when the little green man is lit. Whether because everything is different here, or more likely, there are so many people, his second job is actually to keep people on the sidewalk, before the lights change and the green man signals I can risk my life crossing the street. 

Because he doesn't make it any easier to cross the street and the pedestrians are forced to look after themselves, no one listens to the crossing guard. People stand on the street ignoring the crossing guards whistles to get on the sidewalk, people cross the street whenever they feel like it. 

The only time people or drivers listen to the crossing guards is when the cops, people with actual authority, are directing traffic. 

So there is no requirement that they do their two jobs, and during rush hour  cops do it for them. The hardest part of their day seems to be standing outside in the hot weather. 

Though it can't be fun asking people to do something the entire day and having no one listen to you. 

*** yesterday I saw some teachers from the middle school I worked at last year, holding red flags, standing with the crossing guards. It was nice to see them, if only because they are always excited and surprised to see me. I learned that they were volunteering raising the flag each time someone didn't listen to the crossing guard and stood on the street, in order to guilt them into getting back on the sidewalk. 
I thought of two things. 1) that only works cause no one wants to lose face 2) the crossing guards have even more help doing their jobs

No comments: