Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I woke up monday morning and flipped on the TV to the most wonderful sight in the world, The Pittsburgh Steelers playing live on Chinese Television. Apparently my friend was correct about NBC having made a deal with Chinese TV to broadcast the sunday night games. I was ecstatic, my french roommates friend who was on the couch reading asked if it was the Super Bowl, I told him it might has well be for the Brownies (He did not understand the joke), though he did seem to intrinsically know that Santonio's big catch was a good thing.
I unfortunately was not in the best state of mind for watching the game, having apparently decided at some point the previous evening to start drinking baijiu. baijiu for those of you that don't speak Chinese literally means really strong alcohol that tastes horrible no matter if you buy the 50 cent bottle or the 20 dollar bottle. Actually it's rice wine, though it tastes like I would imagine formaldehyde would, and in the 5000 years of tradition and history that this country has somehow no one has been able to create a better tasting alcohol.
Well watching the steelers hung over is still better than watching the little field tracker on ESPN the website, telling me on a 30 second delay that willie parker ran 3 yards and then showing the corresponding run with a gold line going three yards on a field.
It wasn't the prettiest game and the conditions didn't seem to suggest that it would be the high scoring affair that the game against the Texans was, but it was still enjoyable to watch nevertheless.
I got to see Aaron Smith dominate, and even BIg Ben make the Nate Washington face, where he looks up in disgust after Nate drops another pass that hits him in the hands, though after reports of Big Ben having a separated shoulder maybe that was actually the face of a person in pain.*, and I got to see the Lers take their 10th in a row from the Brownies and what seems to be control of a weaker than I expected division.
(2-0 after two games, I will take it)

*They will never do this, nor do I think that a week off will help him recover that much, so perhaps I just talked myself out of it, but what would be the harm of resting Big Ben for the week. Although the Eagles are a good barometer game, it can't be much of one because it is early in the season, and it is against a team from the NFC that will have almost no impact on our playoff implications. Ben could use the week to get healthy and then come back strong against the Ravens, Jags, and Bengals all of which are much more important games to win than the next one. Plus we could see what we have in Leftwich. Though if you can throw the ball 50 yards with a separated shoulder, how hurt can you really be?

No comments: