Monday, February 2, 2009

What a game

I took my sister to a hot pot restaurant in Nanjing for our final meal before our vacation was over and we had this exchange. Hoping the whole week that the Football gods and Myron Cope would smile on the effort we were making to find a place to watch the game live at 7 in the morning.

“Her: What’s wrong?”
Me: “I burnt my tongue, but now that you ask I just have this feeling about the game that it is going to come down to the aspect that have defined our whole season. I just have this premonition that we are going to have a 3rd and 1 4th and 1 near their goalline and that Big Ben is going to have to come back to win it in the 4th.”

After the first period of the game when the Steelers had already struggled on 3rd and goal. I looked at her and said that I was going to be right.

I didn’t want to be right. I would have rather the Steelers had blown the Cardinals out, but at least they won, and now I don’t have to spend my future watching Larry Fitzgerald dashing to the endzone with a little under 3 minutes to play and feeling sick about it. And I can laugh about how adamant Cousin Sal from Bill Simmons podcast was about Gary Russell not scoring a TD and how much money he probably lost on that prop bet. So he may not feel this way but...

What a game

I don’t know if I would feel that way had my team lost. (I probably wouldn’t be in a place right now to even begin to discuss it) but imparitially that must have been an incredible game to watch. But to have so many lead changes in the last few minutes that a 100 yard INT and a play that not only caused a 14 point swing but prompted a friend (a steelers fan) to question whether the player was on steroids because it was so unbelievable.

It is easy to get lost in the moment and proclaim that this was the greatest superbowl ever, From my perspective it was because I am a steelers fan, harrison’s play, Ben’s scrambles and comeback, Santonio’s catch. Those plays will live in Steeler lore forever. It just feels like a choice that was made in the moment. That this was the greatest superbowl ever. I believe they were saying that about last years game right after the game as well. But it is hard to argue with a game that delivered the longest play in Superbowl history, a final quarter that made you forget about it, and 2 quarterbacks that solidified a spot for themselves in the Hall of Fame. As well as confirm the greatest WR in the game today, and one of its emerging stars. Its got to be up there if it isn’t the best.

Whatever the case. As a steelers fan I am thrilled, We now have to be considered the 2nd best team of the 00’s behind the Pats, and if we can get some lineman, someone that can return a kickoff that isn’t a fullback, and get our real punter back there is no reason to think more success isn’t in our future.

No comments: