Monday, January 5, 2009

2009: A Space Odyssey

I get this message from my computer when it can't send an email.

Hi. This is the smtp delivery program.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.


I realize we live in a world where computers are designed to sound more and more like Humans to make me feel more comfortable, and maybe when we are living in the world of AI I will feel more comfortable with this, but at the moment the message makes me feel like its HAL from 2001, and is just plotting my destruction.

Why is it speaking in the first person? it's a computer. and apologizing too? why does it expressing feelings?

Any day now I feel like I am going to ask it to do a task and it is going to say "Sorry 李岩 but I can't let you do that"

No comments: