Tuesday, October 28, 2008

They might have to carry JoePA off the field, and it still might not be enough

I’m happy for Penn State. I don’t consider myself a Penn State fan. I like to have some allegiance to Michigan for some six degrees of Kevin Bacon connection that my sister, mother, cousin went there and I once saw a game there and like most Big Ten schools , under Lloyd Carr they subscribed to a philosophy that works well in Steelers football, Run the ball and play great D.
Besides the Family connection, these things manifest themselves at Penn State as well. I’ve even been to a few games there, my favorite instance being Homecoming 2000 when I got to see my camp counselor cry when Penn State lost a perfect season to a terrible Minnesota team. That weekend I also experienced for the first time, on my way to the Bob Dylan-Phil Lesh and Friends show, why Santonio Holmes keeps marijuana in his car. Plus the school is in Pennsylvania (that’s where I’m from!), though I already had a rooting interest in Pitt over Penn State.
But with both of those teams out, and Penn State playing the way they are, I would much rather them play in the Championship game (with in state players) than see Texas or Alabama. I might even get my wish, and then the feel good story of the season would play itself out, with JoePA getting a chance to ride off into retirement as his players carry him off the field after winning the National Championship.
I just don’t see it happening…I mean the National Title could surely come to Happy Valley, but I just don’t see JoePa stepping away that easily, (no pun intended). He still wants to coach. It is a matter of semantics to discuss how much “coaching” he does anymore, and a dicey situation to try to ouster out a living legend especially after a national title, but I can’t see him just giving up control of the one thing he has known for decades.
Maybe the title will be enough validation and he will want to walk away on top. But I think he is sticking around because more than a national title he wants the All-Time wins record. If Bobby Bowden (his closest competition) would step down, I think you would see Paterno do likewise, but he doesn’t want to leave the game with the chance that his greatest legacy would be overtaken in his lifetime.

Penn State could be in for a Brett Favre Summer

No comments: